Thursday, December 23, 2010

I Could Not Sleep For Thinking of the Sky

  There is a poem by John Masefield that I think encapsulates the emotion of those who search for other Earths.   The title is "The Unending Sky" and here it is -

   I could not sleep for thinking of the sky, 
   The unending sky, with all its million suns
   Which turn their planets everlastingly
   In nothing, where the fire-haired comet runs.  


   If I could sail that nothing, I should cross 
   Silence and emptiness with dark stars passing,
   Then, in the darkness, see a point of gloss 
   Burn to a glow, and glare, and keep amassing,  


   And rage into a Sun with wandering planets 
   And drop behind, and then, as I proceed,  
   See his last light upon his last moon's granites 
   Die to a dark that would be night indeed.


   Night where my soul might sail a million years 
   In nothing, not even death, not even tears.  














No comments:

Post a Comment